Home

Gangs of the South Bronx Documentary Double Feature

Posted April 21, 2008 by molly_fair in Events

ssfam.gif
If you are in NYC you should come out these rare screenings of the 70's documentaries Ain't Gonna Eat My Mind (dir. Tony Batten, 1972) and 80 Blocks from Tiffany's (dir. Gary Weiss, 1979) depicting the Ghetto Brothers and Savage Skulls- legendary gangs that originated in the South Bronx.
pr-ghetto-brothers.jpgThe Ghetto Brothers were founded around 1967 by Benjamin "Yellow Benjy" Melendez and his brothers. They were infamous for transforming from a gang into a an organization that lead community service initiatives and helped organize the pivotal 1971 Bronx truce among all other prominent gangs following the murder of their peacekeeper Black Benjie. The Savage Skulls were one of the most notorious gangs at the time, and headed by Filipe "Blackie" Mercado. Despite their scorn for revolutionary politics, they once fought alongside neighbors and members of the Young Lords in an epic street battle against the Fort Apache cops in retaliation for beating a Savage Skull member.

Friday, April 25th, 7:30pm: Special Guest Benjy Melendez, founder of the Ghetto Brothers presents Ain't Gonna East My Mind & 80 Blocks from Tiffany's

Saturday, April 26th:
The 51st State, 7pm
Original TV program featuring Ain't Gonna East My Mind and studio debate with Benjy Melendez and filmmaker Tony Batten
80 Blocks from Tiffany's, 8:30pm

Sunday, April 27th, 7:30:
Special Guest Filipe "Blackie" Mercado, former president of the Savage Skulls presents 80 Blocks from Tiffany's & Benjy Melendez presents Ain't Gonna Eat My Mind

Maysles Cinema
343 Lenox Ave./Malcolm X Blvd.
Between 127th and 128th Streets
$7 Suggested Admission (Limited Seating Available)
Box office opens 1 hour before showtime

Comments

Ques: What are you guys doing now, I would love to hear about that. I'm from Teller Avenue and I remember the Savage Skulls in 145X park, sheridan Avenue, etc. I know alot of young brothers need help with staying out of trouble. Please email me so that we can converse about some helpful topics. Peace and Blessings

Posted by: Bea at May 21, 2008 2:36 PM

Everybody thinks hip hop started with Herc, but the truth is if it wasnt for the ghetto brothers putting together that peace summit it never would have happened, gangs would have been bopping straight into the 80's. let's not forget Herc's outdoor party occur'd in 73' the peace summit happened in 71'a full 2 years before. A Bambatta was at that summit which planted the Zulu Nation seed. we must remember those brothers and sisters who fought in those ghetto wars and recognized the fact that whitey didnt give crap about them and decided that peace was the only way."Hey man let's throw a jam". B-boy culture came out of gang culture, which probably came out of jail culture.
Let's not forget the Porto Rock niggas, we where thier from day one, Chuck D got it wrong it's not a black thang but a street thang, Boogie Down Bronx Thang, nobody reps hip hop like the X.

Peace Out
One

Posted by: cano 72 at June 25, 2008 12:45 PM

I have a question:Is there any south bronx film documentary from the early 90's?

Posted by: Lawrence at September 13, 2008 5:01 AM

Is there any documentary about bronx river projects in thd 90's?

Posted by: cocoa at September 21, 2008 8:32 AM

looking for past members from the young immortal`s my hub was the war lord and lucky was the president .......peace

Posted by: lilroc828 at January 31, 2009 9:49 AM

Que Pasa my Brothers and Sisters. My name is Tony and I was a Savage Skull named Wild Moreno back in 69 on Morris Ave with my boys Savage, Mr Black, Kato, and a few others (RIP). I remember that we started Rapping when it first was meant "Rapping to a Fly Honey" to "Talking about How Cool We Were". When I was younger, we all called it Snapping (ranking) example of the Snapper "The Rain is over, the flood is dry, why do you wear your pants so high?" Reply from the Snappee " While the flood was here, my pants got wet, The higher I wear them the dryer they get!"
thats almost 40 years old!! It was fun in a world that was wild with activity.

I have read and watched so much stuff about our culture, written by people who did their research, but never really lived the experience. Kudos to them, but what about the people we remember who died and who were part of this world changing event. Where are their names and kudos.

We all had a part is starting Hip Hop, but remember this, many of the brothers and sisters who had the talent and the abilty and helped this Snap to Rap to Hip-Hop grow, died in the mean streets by war, drugs, and illness. Lets give props to them, who where all pretty cool, fun loving kids, living wild in a world of shit.

I tap out some of my beer to the dead to this very day, even as a corporate exec, I do not forget where I came from.

This outlaw made it out, but not without some losses.

Hip Hop is an evolution of a people in desperate need, that unfortunately is today, filled with ultimate greed. Keep it real with feel!

Palante!
Wild Moreno (Rapper Tony)

Posted by: Wild Moreno at May 11, 2009 10:01 PM

Hi,i was in the young immortals then graduated to the seven immortals and was a proud member back then and still till this day remember those days as if they were just yesterday.julio was pres choco vice prez and bighead was warlord and rocky also and i had some great friends in the south bronx division and i was from the throggs neck division- ive heard alot of people have passed on but if it werent for those days i wouldnt have the outlook i have now on life and like i said i met alot of people back then and hope them all well so if your still around hey drop me a line

Posted by: Ruben at May 19, 2009 7:52 AM

Bronx deserves the upmost respect from fashion all the way to music. We are all the above;what you know,how you feel and streetlife has been put in the forefront because of the possibility of us as a youth trying to find happiness in messed up environment. No directions, no pamphlets, just our voices and we spoke at one time for all ghettos.Truly yours "BIG BRONX" BXA MF (BX Automatics) Remember those broken down buildings back in the 80's was our home when we are away and when we can't get away we dreamed of the possibility that change can happen but reality is only for moments. We need some more of those moments Bronx.

Posted by: Big Bronx at June 10, 2009 1:53 AM

WAS WILSON APONTE"APACHE" A MEMBER OF THE SAVAGE SKULLS?

Posted by: toni burns at June 28, 2009 10:11 PM

Hi
Remembering the savage skulls hanging around junior high school 133. I remember spookie, we went to school together. He was in love with my friend alice. two brother's spanky (william) and ray (luis). simbad and a few others.
first division led by blackie on tiffany street behind p.s. 150
If anyone's out there, I am sending a big hello and mucha suerte a los sobrevivientes.

Posted by: millie at August 24, 2009 11:13 PM

I don't know what happened to benjy, I got thrown
in prison for going AWOL because I came home before
I had to go to Vietnam. However I met yellow-benjy,
Blackie, Black Ben and they were all suffering from
the same illness, Anger at their poverty, sharp minds going to waste and the drugs that were killing everything. I had a crisis in Vietnam but a war in my backyard. I bust my ass so benjy could say look what I've done! I wrote a book with all the truth, pictures, and articles. Write me or E-mail anytime for the Truth.

Posted by: KarateCharlie at October 20, 2009 3:57 PM

Waz up all: I remember Benjy from the Ghetto Brothers, and Blackie. God bless all you guys, and I am happy that most of you are alive. I often go back in thoughts trying to put faces with names as I wonder "wow is he still alive" I was with the Young Lords, and worked and hang with both Nomads, and Skulls, Ghetto Brother, Majestic's, working for peace. I pray often for all you guys. I am writing a book called "You Only Life Twice" about my involvement with the gangs, drugs, the Lords, Police brutality and all the s*** that when down in the hood. If any of you remember Chino, please hit me up. Mean time GOD BLESS EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU BROTHERS. I am on my space, and face book as Gumersindo Vidot

Posted by: Gumersindo (Chino) at December 22, 2009 8:13 PM

to all fellow member of the young immortals,and savage skulls, i remember growing up on fox st.and playing handball with rudy as park manager,and working summer jobs and Bighead and Julio and rocky first division prez and warloads,,attending P.S.150 and P.S.99 then went on to I.S.116X AND KNOW A POLICE OFFICER IN PUERTO RICO ,,WOW HOW TIME FLYS BY.....HECTOR...

Posted by: Hector at February 22, 2010 10:36 AM

HI MY NAME IS LILLY AKA LIL GINA. I WAS DIMOND'S (VICTOR ) GIRLFRIEND. HE STARTED THE SEVEN IMMORTALS ON BRYANT AVE. AND I REMEMBER BIGHEAD AND HIS BROTHER DINNY WHO WAS WITH MY FRIEND ELY AND BIGHEAD WAS WITH MILDRED. AND JULIO WHO WAS WITH ROSA ELY'S SIS. ALSO I REMEMBER PEEWEE JULIO'S BROTHER. WOW THIS IS SUCH A BLAST FROM THE PAST. I WONDER HOW THEY ALL ARE DOING AND IF THEY ARE STILL AMONG THE LIVING. I FOUND OUT THAT DIMMOND PAST AWAY MAY HIS SOUL REST IN PEACE. HE WAS MY FIRST LOVE.

Posted by: LILLIAN DE JESUS at March 4, 2010 2:43 AM

Wuz up Savage Nomads,I use to be a Nomad back in 1976.Were is DSR? Tell him to get in touch with Angel.I see that Crazy Joe is R.I.P.Sorry to hear that cause I now Joe back in the days.Tell all my crew who now me wuz up...........Dino,camamchie,etc.
Keep in touch.Savage Nomads 4 life

Posted by: Angel at March 13, 2010 12:46 PM

Peace and respect to my brother Karate Charlie, President and Founder of the Ghetto Brothers.
Get with my man Charlie if you want the truth. Those who know dont say, those who say don't know.
Do the Knowledge!

Omar Islam Medina
Founder Zulu Nation Florida

Posted by: Omar Islam Medina at March 22, 2010 7:10 PM

What Up.
I was in the Warriors. You know. That's that real live bunch from Coney. And I do mean The Warriors.
we was just up at that big meeting in the Bronx. A lot of hassl. A lot of heads got busted. We made it this far, and we're going to make it all the way back to the big CI. "No where to run, no where to hide"? You forget that we Warriors are good, real good.
The Best.
Peace Out.
Swan (Warlord)

Posted by: Swan at April 19, 2010 6:35 PM

HELLO FELLOW GANG MEMBERS,MY NAME IS BIG BEE.I WAS A PRESIDENT OF THE 14 DIV OF THE BLACK SPADES,IN THE MOTT HAVEN AREA.BACK THEN WE HAD ALL TYPE OF CLICKS IN THE SAME HOOD,THE SAVAGE SKULLS,THE IMMORTALS,THE WARLOCKS,THE BACHELORS,THE BROTHERHOOD OF SATAN,THE ROYAL JALELINS.BACK THEN LIFE WAS FULL,EVERYBODY JUST CAME TOGETHER TO STAND UP FOR EACH OTHER NEIGHBOR.TO PROTECT FROM OUTSIDERS.FIRST,FOR ALL THE ONES THAT ARE STILL HERE,MAY GOD BLESS YOU FOR SURVIVING ALL THESE YEARS.SECOND,LETS NEVER FORGET THE ONES THAT DID NOT MAKE IT BACK THEN,THIRD,LET ALL OF OUR MEMORY AND ENCOUNTERS THAT WE HAD BE USED TO STOP THIS BAD VIOLENCE OUT THERE THIS TEENS ARE DOING TO EACH OTHER..TAKE CARE EVERYBODY.P.S.WE HAVE AN ANNUAL COOKOUT EVERY YEAR AT P.S.49 PARK,THE FIRST SATURDAY OF JULY,COME BY AND ENJOY THE PEOPLE,KIDS,AND EATS..

Posted by: bernie johnson at April 27, 2010 3:12 PM

Hello fello gang members, I was in the Young Bachelors from Eagle Ave in the Bronx. I later became body guard to big Bee-Jay of the Supreme Bachelors when Red and Goldie took command of the colors from henry which flew Thee Bachlors, getting permission Black benjy who was doing time. They were with India if my memory corrects me. I remember Cowboy, Goldito, Peace, Happy, Lil-man (weemo),Machito,Edwin Chivita, Pepsi, Blondie and China (sisters), Mother Earth,. I remember growing up and thinking I would not get out or make my 15th birthday. I went to Lolita Rodriguez Del-Tio on St. Anns and shared the school with the Southbronx Immortals. I remeber Bam-Bam, Tank, K-Gee and Vincent (Sparrow)from the Black Spades. Most of all I rem ember the club on 149th street "The Cave" between Brook and StAnn's Ave.I went with A girl from Prospect Ave who use to be a Roman Queen, Her name was Carmen Vasquez AKA Penny, we hung out with Mita, Indio's cousin. Peace.

Posted by: Jorge, Baby Bee-Jay at August 4, 2010 1:57 AM

i remember the seven immortals from fox street park, i know that big head and his brother dinny both died of AIDS. and alberto (cubano) died of AIDS too... i remember spanky and his brother of the savage skulls... i wonder whatever became of them...

Posted by: ping at October 25, 2010 10:41 PM

Just wanted to gIve a shout out to my brothers the savage skulls. I was the presIdent of the 18th dIvIson on cypress avenue. I remember goIng to the first dIvIson and seeIng blackIe,hollywood,gary,rat,rIngo, satch,smokey,booboo,monkey and mr hyde. Outlaws for lIfe,sffs. I stIll wear mc boots. Let a bro know of the next reunIon.

Posted by: blackjack at December 16, 2010 8:41 PM

Hey My Brothers,
Good to know that I am not alone when I think about those days in the south bronx. As crazy as it was, I loved it and would not have changed anything if I had to do it over. I was a Peacemaker on Vyse and 173rd., around the corner from the Boys Club. I was at the summit and one of the founders of the Peacemakers. I stay in touch with a few brothers from back in the day. I am close with Bam Bam from the Spades and I remember Black Benjy from the Ghetto Brothers. I remember he pierced my ear for me right on Vyse Ave. with a needle, thread and some vaseline....Lol. After that you couldn't tell me nothing. Love that Boogie Down.

Posted by: Rusty at December 21, 2010 7:06 PM

My older Brother "CHINO",was a member of the Savage "Skulls",the 1960's old school. Died JANUARY 18, 2011 from ASTHMA. CHINO MY BROTHER ,"REST IN PEACE", YOUR SAVAGE SKULLS AND FAMILY MISS YOU, GOD BLESS YOU,SLEEP WITH THE ANGELS NOW. PAPI see u soon.

Posted by: Frances-CCEE at January 31, 2011 4:05 AM

i lived in 149th and southern Blvd.I was with the Savage Skulls till I moved to Chicago. I was wondering what ever happened to the guys that used to hang with me at the A&P there wher we used to push grocerys for people in the hood for change! Remember that? What ever happened to the Savage Skull brothers like, Hippie, Mingie, Franco, all from the 149th Southern Blvd area.Oh yea, theyey called me "Magilla" back then. I think it was Hippie or Mingie that used to have all those pigeons on the roof as pets, remember that? I am also a minister now helping and encouraging people in the ways of the Lord. Someone from back then please give me a shout on Email or facebook. Thanks... Albert Suarez

Posted by: albert at March 18, 2011 3:35 AM

I was in the immortals in Astoria queens I was a warlord my prez name was. Cisco 21st division they use to call me mall love to hear from guys that were from queens.

Posted by: Manuel somoano at March 28, 2011 10:36 PM

I was only 5yrs old when I lived in the south bronx on southern blvd in 992 and across the street in 999 and remember hearing about the Savage Skulls and Imperial Bachelors from my brothers and their friend Carlos aka Wolfie.. wow how time flies. Wonder if any of you fine people might of known him PEACE

Posted by: Willie at March 31, 2011 4:15 AM

I WAS A SKULL WHEN I WAS 15 YEARS OLD I LIVED ON SIMPSON ST THREE BUILDINGS FROM FORT APACHE 41ST PRECINCT MY SCHOOLS WERE PS 20 AND EVANDER CHILDS HIGH .I WAS THE ONLY SKULL SURROUNDED BY IMPERIAL BACHELORS AND SOME ROMAN KINGS.I GOT OUT AND MOVED WHEN MY FRIEND SANTOS WAS STAB AND KILL .I LIVE IN FLORIDA NOW BUT I ALWAYS REMEMBER GROWING UP IN THE SOUTH BRONX WITH MY FRIENDS SANTOS,COCO,MITO, AND LITTLE MAN.THE ROOF TOPS AND PIGEON COOPS-KITE FIGHTING REMEMBER ,THOSE WERE THE DAYS.THESE WERE THE THE GANGS AROUND AT THE TIME ,MY GANG THE SAVAGE SKULLS 3RD DIV. THE BLACK SPADES,THE IMORTALS,GHETTO BROTHERS,BACHELORS,SAVAGE NOMADS TO NAME SOME.I WILL NEVER FORGET THOSE DAYS IDONT KNOW WHAT HAPPEN TO MY FRIENDS BUT WERE EVER THEY ARE MAY GOD BLESS.

Posted by: pee wee at May 3, 2011 10:53 AM

Wow, good to hear that I'm not crazy, I live in NJ now and I try to tell my peps about this, they think I'm nuts.... sorry for them I grew up on prospect ave between home st and 169th...I was a young knight, later becoming a skull, please keep posting I want to stay in touch... I'm sure you know my last name Chance ...RIP to my sisters Essie,Naomi,and Doris Smith aka Mother Earth

Posted by: mark at June 3, 2011 5:41 AM

Hi people
my name is tommy aka toti from 151 beck st.
I went to school at jhs 52 and ave st. john.I hung
with slick, shogun,fat louie,mousey,went to school with hippie and mingie,i also hung out with gigantor. peace my brothers.

Posted by: tommy alejandro at June 18, 2011 10:25 PM

Some people need to get there facts straight !! It was Yellow Benjy that started, "The Ghetto Brothers". He is the FOUNDER and was the president. He made Karate Charlie the president for a short time because he was on drugs! Yellow Benjy was trying to help him, to get off drugs. He loved Charlie as a brother and still does!! Remember its all documented !!

Posted by: Wanda at July 17, 2011 10:57 PM

where is Smokie, a ReAl ass gangsta a OG...... where are you bro.

Posted by: POW MIA at July 20, 2011 12:37 PM

Whats Up People; Reading these articles made my hair stand up and bought back so many memories. House parties with the black lights, posters, hanging in the basement,etc. A lot of you may not be familiar with our particular division of the Savage Skulls. All of us lived on Tiffany between 163rd and Westchester ave. I didn't become a Skull until I had beef with Sinbad and Young Blood back then. Blackie, Spookie, Rat, Little Man, Satch, Gary, Waxy, Randy, Big Oaf, Little Oaf, Commanche, Apache, Gigantor and almost all of the 1st Division hung out on our stoop. We were called the "Virgin Division" back then as some of us still lived at home with Mom and Pop and was still going to school. However, when it was time to throw down; we were down. All of us pretty much went to John Dwyer JHS 133, Morris HS, Alfred E. Smith HS, Monroe HS, Clinton HS, Evander HS, Jane Adams HS. We hung out on 163rd in the little store front clubs back then; sometimes all night long. In the summer we used to go to PS 150 at night and climb over the fence to sneak in the pool and sometimes walk down to the pier at Hunts Point. That was up the block from the 1st Division club house. Some of the people that lived in Tiffany at that time was Myself (Manny), My brother Wilson (Beef), My Brother George, Robert, Loreene, Diane, Josey, Dwight, Johnny, Ana, Twiggy, Peewee, Preston, Luther, Sonia, Wilfredo and his crazy sister who I can't remember her name and other names right now...that was about 41 years ago for me. As I read these articles, they made me remember some events, people, etc, that I had not thought about in years. It was my son that mentioned to me that the Savage Skulls were on the internet. He knows that me and my brothers were in the Skulls back then and learned all of the "details" of the everyday life in the South Bronx when my brother Wilson filled him in on his visit to New York. I still go home every now and then to get "revitalized". There is no experience equal to growing up in the South Bronx at that time. In one of the articles I read where Mark states "I try to tell my peps about this, they think I'm nuts...." This is a true statement. I retired from the Army in 1994 (left the Bronx in 1974) and I still tell people about how it was back then and they think I'm nuts and say that I may be exaggerating. However, you guys are my proof that life once existed. While we may have gotten older and gone on to be fathers, mothers, grandfathers and grandmothers: growing up in the South Bronx and being a Savage Skull, I believe, prepared us for the life outside of the "Ghetto" now known as the "Hood". In ending, I want to say Rest In Peace to those who are gone and shout out and "mucha suerte" to those that live on.

Posted by: Manny at July 22, 2011 6:54 PM

i remember a savage skull named spanky from the 1st division. anyone out there knows what happened to him? he had a brother that was also a skull ( i think his name was louie but don't remember)

Posted by: ping at October 4, 2011 4:24 PM

My brothers and sisters,, I lived on 180th st across from the bronx park, with the water fall, near the Zoo. I walked with the Reapers and attended meetings and fights, I was a bit too young to be one, I knew a Bengy from the Reapers and Tico, Wilfred, some I don"t even remember. I hung out with about 8 other cats who lived in the same bldg, Tony, Baldo, Manny, Ricardo, Freddie, Mike (my brother), Rolando, who were all in training to be Reapers,, no doubt. I am now a Fireman in California,, a former US Marine, but have never forgotten my past,, it was a great time in my life. If any of the cats I mentioned are out there,,, hit me up to catch up. peace!

Posted by: Carlos Vargas at October 5, 2011 12:00 AM

Blackie (Skulls), Black Benji (Nomads) and Yellow Benji (Ghetto Brothers) are the 3 presidents that made a major impact in the peace process. we remeber how it was in the days. the south bronx burning and most of the burnt houses was our club
it was rough. amazing during that time i played baseball with julito and pablito from the immortals and i was a skull. most of the team was from hoe ave and some of us from tiffany. imagine playing ball by day and gang banging all the time.
we were all lucky to be alive today. i was in the 1st div with blackie, marvin (hollywood), gary, mr. hyde, gigantor, raul, spanky, ray#2,spooky, lil man, robot, ringo, big oaf, lil oaf, c.c.,sachmo, rat (now known as arab)blondie, sinbad, robot, apache, chino, shorty do, and sinbad. loraine, penny, dimples, millie. i then went to the 5 div. so much happened in the day. everyone new when one turf started and one ended. looking back it's incredible how it was. i can go on and on about the days but that's alright. i was also in the army and just retired from the dept of health. i wanna give a shout out to all members of all the gangs who survived. god bless you all. and by the way, last time i heard about spanky i was told he was in Michigan. i don't know about ray#2 his brother. savage skull reunions are held every year around labor day in the park at simspon street and westchester. all are welcomed. i still live on simpson st. after i moved from tiffany street 45year snd counting. and to my brother manny and my nephew junito, how about a visit? my people

Posted by: Wilson (Beef) at December 6, 2011 4:11 PM

My name was Blackie when I was in the Seven Immortals, started as a Young Immortal, and quickly became a Seven Immortal for betting up an older member from another gang, I was in the main division on Bryant & Westchester, which I became the treasurer at the time of all divisions...at that time Julio was the pres and Cirillo was vice pres, I miss a lot of those members back then Diamond, Ralphie,Smokie, Anibel, Larry, afro Louie, Jeffery, Watusi, Big Choco, Fagget Freddy, Lefty, Papo...so, many brothers we had and a lot of them have past away....tho it was a crazy time in those days I would not have had it any other way, all those brothers were true brothers without any question....true OUTLAWS to the end, as for me still in the life, today I'm an MC OUTLAW.... We also had some of the most down by law young lady's , Ely, Rosa, Mildred, Iris, so, many that it's just to mention, and, much respect to all those gangs from that era....much love to anybody from the Seven Immortals who are still around...Peace & Love

Posted by: Blackie at July 26, 2012 3:22 AM

Hey fellow gang members i just wanted to write to you all letting you know that this is crazy Joe's niece his sister vicki's older daughter. She was from the Roman Queen i miss my uncle so much he was crazy but he had the best heart ever.. my you R.I.P uncle Joe....

Posted by: jennifer cruz at August 12, 2012 10:18 PM

OMG! Hi to all, I am so excited to see all this. I'm always talking to my grandson, 18 now, about these days. Now he can see that its true. My brother GILBERT and sister IRIS were in THE SEVEN IMORTAL,I rember Julito, Ely, Rosa, Rosa use to go with my brother, Brillohead, Anibel, Milderd Uncle, "lil" Tony, "lil" man and others. We use to hang on the corner of Hoe Ave and Aldust in front of COLONS store. Or play baseball in the school yard of P.S. 75. I think about those days and the crazy things we did, but I would'nt change a thing. Hoping that everybody is doing well. God bless.

Posted by: Pro at August 16, 2012 1:07 PM

Wow...to see how far back we can remmember things as if they never changed!!?Love to all my ZULU NATION,and all you catz from the days in the south bronx...never forgotten!!!??

Posted by: DENSE167 at September 13, 2012 2:30 PM

wow brings back memory I use to run with the immortals I remember all those names diamond was the first president and went he got locked up julito took over my man lil Felix aka papito was the pres of young immortals anabel use to go with ely she was papitos sister julito use to go with rosa her sister. And the person talking about iris and Gilbert from fail st.across from PS75 I know them. And hanging out in front of colons store. I wonder is this provieta frankies wife.

Posted by: tuty from hoe ave. at October 2, 2012 4:38 PM

I use to hang with the immortals my sister was tata with the glasses julito use to stay in my house I lived across from anabel on aldus st diamond started the immortals then he went to jail and julito took over I remember hanging whit papito ely brother he was pres of young immortal. To the person that posted about being iris sister and Gilbert sister if it's provita how your husband frank we use to hang in front of colons store and do our thing if you know what I mean he use to talk on his CB radio he use to call me porky you use to be my class monitor in ps 75 when I was younger .

Posted by: tuty from hoe ave. at October 3, 2012 3:24 PM

Greetings to you all on this page, My name was LiL-Ricky (AKA) Fingers, Former Young Skulls/Savage Skulls New York, from the South Bronx, From 149th Street & Southern Blvd & St. Johns Ave. Also hanged out in Morris Ave and Concord Park across from the great Supreme Court House

Use to hang with the 25th Div. & 25th Chapter, The Compies, Carlito, Mingie, Hippie, Manny,Gary, Franco, and my Compie and Brother Lil-Outlaw-Ray R.I.P. Black Mark, Blondie, Carlos aka Father, Santos and Cheque, Blackie, Arab, Mousie, Comie Evelyn, Ana and Hollywood R.I.P. Iron Mike R.I.P. and so on. Just so you all know I am a Minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, A born again believer, and so is Blondie, he was set FREE from Fish-Kill Corr. Fac. 6 years ago, and just a few weeks ago he was set free from his life Parole, God is good. I am married to the same lady "D" for 24 years. I will never forget the past, but I thank God for my future in Jesus, I am in Gods Gang now. My love to all that are still living.
Remember Jesus Loves you all, He has a purpose for you.

Living in Florida Serving Jesus and Working for Teen Challenge of Fl. Inc. Look me up.

Peace out

Posted by: Rick "Fingers" Fernandez at October 10, 2012 3:42 AM

La verdad! I used to be a Savage Skull & hung out occasionally with the Ghetto Brothers, Savage Nomdas, Reapers, Turbans, Black Spades, to name a few. In looking back, these clowns were never role models but two-bit punks who got stoned & robbed people. The real role models of the St. Bronx were those people (like my father & tia) who stayed clean, went to school, and had to endure the BS of these morons! Growing up i believed the BS they were saying about society-that the white man does not want us to succeed...what BS! Mira, if you want to get ahead in life you have to do what all successful people do-they go to school for an education & they WORK! Tiendes mendes! We're not special or better than anyone. Yes, we're coming from behind d/t the conditions we were born into; however, that's no excuse for not taking care of business by getting educated instead of hitting the bottle or the needle. A la juventud de hoy. Stay in school & don't follow those clowns who go around thinking they're the baddest mofos out. BS! The key is to get an education & lead by example! Forward & i am somebody!

Posted by: ernest pacheco at November 11, 2012 2:54 PM

Hey, what's up out there in the hood! This is "Juice" from the Bronx. Was a member of the Savage Nomads 4th div Castle Hill area. I remember our prez Chris and by main bros David V, Stanley and his bro Gary, Edwin and his bro David, Chachi and Chino. Blessings to all that survived. Peace.

Posted by: Juice 177 at November 13, 2012 3:47 PM

good to hear some of the immortals are still alive i was in the immortals during the 70's sorry to hear (diamond)victor has passed i used to live on 165 street and bryant ave i knew his brother Ralph and good to see u are ok Lilly you remember evelyn you hung out with her at stratford ave hay i can get friended on face book as louis reyes or biglou3926@aol.com god bless all

Posted by: louie at December 18, 2012 9:01 PM

Ex-Savage Skulls member for over ten years started as a young skull which I still have my tatoo of my young skull enblem on my right arm. The first time I saw the Savage Skulls I was standing on Simpson street. Which I and my family move to. Getting back to what I was saying Savage Skulls were riding there bikes on the steerts the cars could not move to many bikes the first three bikes were holding large flags P.Rico flag a African flag and a United Nation flag and it musy have been at least 200 or more on there choppers stlye bikes you remember banana seats and long sissybars 5 speedy and swchin bikes . I was about eight or nine years old. I knew then that I wanted to be like them. My brother met a member of the Savage Skulls his name was RC. I later jion the club when I was 14 or 15 years of age. Hippie was the pres of the Young Skulls
Late in the seventies Savage Skulls decide to break up the Young Skulls me and good bro name panter were now prospect to become Savage Skulls. There is so much to say about the past. I will return and continue some other time. P.S. So many members that was not mention??

Posted by: R.Quinones at December 22, 2012 11:14 PM

I grew up with gangs my brother was the member . They protected me until I came into my own . His experianced taught me to how to sell dope and run my own crew where doesnt matter , somewhere in hunts point . I worked from kelly to fox to hoe and aldus. On those corners is where i heard all the negative things Ernest Pacheco refers to. Thank you earnest for reminding me about the bullshit . Hey I love the bronx and my childhood was great . But that Bs killed and destroyed the lives of many people it was only when i got away from BS . That my life changed for the better . LIsten dont be a victim and dont take anybodys shit but go to school , get the hood the world is a lot bigger than that corner .

Posted by: rico aka Lucky at January 10, 2013 3:26 PM

what happenend to crazy joe were is hollywood and everlyn hyde and rat

Posted by: craig at May 6, 2013 9:45 PM